Update June 1, 2020
There are currently 2 types of testing for Covid-19
- Covid-19 testing using a swab to determine an active infection
- Covid-19 antibody testing using blood to determine previous infection.
1. Covid-19 testing using a swab to determine an active infection.
We currently do not have enough testing kits in the office so please call Banner Health at 1-844-549-1851 to speak with a clinical team member to determine if testing is appropriate and they will work with you to get tested.
2. Covid-19 antibody testing using blood to determine previous infection.
During your visit, you can discuss with the physician if you need to get tested and we can it get ordered for you in our office.
COVID-19 in Arizona
To follow and get updates of COVID-19 in Arizona, visit the Arizona Department of Health Services page.
Update on 3-24-2020
Banner Health today announced a new process for COVID-19 specimen collection in Arizona.
Those with concerns about COVID-19 symptoms or exposure can now call Banner Health at 1-844-549-1851 to speak with a clinical team member to determine if testing is appropriate. The line will be staffed from
7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and
7 a.m. – 5 p.m. Fridays.
If an individual meets CDC criteria for testing, they will be scheduled for an appointment at one of Banner’s new drive-through sites. There are three sites located in the Phoenix metropolitan area and one in Tucson. Several more are slated to open at a later date.
During a patient’s drive-through appointment, they will be asked to remain inside their vehicle. The patient will receive paperwork to complete. This includes a confirmation stating they are experiencing symptoms of COVID19, they agree to be tested and will self-isolate until Banner contacts them with their test results. After completing the paperwork, a Banner team member will swab inside their nose to collect a sample. This process takes 5-20 minutes. Once completed, the patient will be instructed to return home and isolate until they are contacted with their test results. Samples will be sent to Sonora Quest Laboratories for processing. Results will take roughly 3-5 days to return.
If test results are negative, the patient will be informed they can return to their normal daily routine if they are asymptomatic. It is recommended that they remain at home if they are still sick. While they may have tested negative for COVID-19, it is possible they have another illness that could spread to others. These patients are advised to manage symptoms at home and contact their primary care provider if they have any questions or concerns.
If the results are positive, Banner will notify the county and state health departments and provide the patient with next steps, which could include an additional quarantine period. Abiding by the quarantine period is extremely important to ensure the patient does not spread the virus to others.
• A Banner health care provider will determine if someone needs to be tested. This will be done through a phone screening. Individuals cannot request the test and will only be tested if they meet testing criteria.
• Banner’s drive-through sites will not accept walk-ins. Everyone must be phone screened in advance and scheduled for an appointment. Those who arrive without an appointment will be asked to leave and call 1-844-549-1851 to complete the phone screening process.
If you are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 and believe you are experiencing a medical event that requires immediate attention, visit an emergency room for evaluation and treatment. Please put on a mask immediately upon arriving to protect other patients, visitors and health care workers.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND RESOURCES:
• Visit Banner’s COVID-19 webpage for the more information about COVID-19 and our testing process.
• Banner has an online symptom checker for those concerned about their symptoms.